Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pork Roast: 18 hours later

Pork roasts are versatile. Using the most basic of seasonings, they can turn into a wide variety of dishes.

Toss a couple of onions and potatoes into the slow cooker as well, and it can easily become a very hearty meal for a week.

Now, notice I mention slow cooker. This usually takes about 4-6 hours for a 3 pound roast, on low. 4-6 hours. Not 18.

Yes, we had a pork roast that sat in the slow cooker on low for 18 hours. Parts were burnt. Thankfully it wasn't on high, lest it all be burnt.

It wasn't bad, just a little dry.

I managed to rescue it with salsa and a can of diced tomatoes. I pulled the pork apart with a pair of forks, tossed it (with its juices that were in the slow cooker) into a skillet with part of a jar of salsa and a can of diced tomatoes.

Simmered it all on low for about an hour, (lid off) and the pork was no longer dry! We plan on turning it into yummy enchiladas.

In the end, it turned out all right, but seriously. Don't leave a pork roast in a slow cooker for 18 hours.

If anyone was wondering, I didn't survive the zombie apocalypse. I was turned turing my attempt to get rescued! I then nommed a human in revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment